The sexual experience in old age has its own challenges and benefits for both men and women.
You may be surprised to hear this but a study which was published in the New England Journal of Medicine found approximately 73 percent of people aged between 57 to 64 to be sexually active! However, there is a bit of a difference between the sexual experience of men and women when it comes to sex in old age.
Although a study suggests that older men still have a sexual desire towards their partners, the sexual experience brings many difficulties and risks for older men.
Older women, on the other hand, enjoy sex in their late years and luckily, as it is suggested, sex is good for their health. This might be a bit difficult to be understood which is why we have conducted a research and found a bit more about the dangers of sex in old age when it comes to older men and also why sex is considered to have beneficial effects on older women’s health.
Why is sex dangerous for older men, but recommended for older women?
As we mentioned in the introduction, the sexual experience has shown its beneficial effects on older women’s health as compared with older men where the sexual experience seems to bring more risks than benefits.
If this seems a bit unbelievable to you, follow us on the article which will answer all of your questions!
- Regular sex may help older women by reducing the risk of hypertension! Sex is one of the best natural ways that you can use in order to reduce the risk of hypertension, without the need to use any kind of medications! On the other hand, sex can increase the risk of a heart attack gradually in older men! A study done has found that older men who enjoy frequent sex at least two or three times a week have an increased risk of a heart attack. If you are wondering how sex and the risk of a heart attack are related, let us explain. During the sexual intercourse, men may exhaust themselves trying to achieve an orgasm which might lead to a heart attack.
- It is no secret that as men grow older they start facing the problems that erectile dysfunction brings – which is an inability to achieve and maintain an orgasm. Men tend to use different kinds of supplements which are offered by a number of brands that promise to help men by providing a long-lasting erection. The use of these supplements is increasing the risk of a heart attack by putting stress on the heart. Instead of using these dietary supplements, ask your doctor for a recommendation for natural remedies that you can use which by the way have proven to be very effective!
- Even in old age, women still get the beneficial effect of stress relief as a result of the endorphin production during an orgasm. On the other hand, as we mentioned before, sex puts more stress on the heart especially for those men who are not usually physically active.
- The inability to achieve and maintain an erection increases the risk of depression and anxiety which is an often psychological effect among men. Compared with men, women still get the beneficial effect of sex that causes relaxation, improved mood, and a good mental health!
- It is no wonder that the doctors recommend being physically active during our lives – especially as we grow older. Being physically inactive increases the risk of injuries during the sexual intercourse. It is not uncommon for older men, especially for those men who are not physically active, to be faced with different kinds of injuries during the sexual intercourse. During sex, a lot of different muscle groups are active, which is why sex is often referred to as a form of exercise. Performing light exercises for a short period as 30 minutes a day can make the difference which is why you must not hesitate when it comes to everyday exercising!
There is no rule that it says that you must not engage in any sexual activities when you grow older! The sexual experience provides the same beneficial effects – e.g. stress relief, physical activity, improvement of the immune system, improved sleep schedule, improved cardiovascular health and etc. for older people as it has for anybody else.
But, as we grow older our bodies are changing which means that some of our abilities decrease and certain risks which were not there before appear.
A perfect example is a sexual experience which brings many risks, especially for older men than older women! The biggest risk that sexual intercourse increases for older men is the risk of a heart attack.
The risk is increased as a result of the common erectile dysfunction – the inability to achieve and maintain an erection among other reasons e.g. stress, the usage of different kinds of supplementations used to achieve an erection and etc. But do not get us wrong – we do not discourage you from having sex!
The point of our article is to raise awareness about the need to lead a healthy life and be careful when it comes to having sex.
If you are facing a problem involving low testosterone levels you can always try and use the variety of natural remedies – e.g. Kegel exercises for men, herbal remedies, changing your diet and etc. instead of using any supplementations which may help you achieve an erection but they will also increase your risk of a heart attack!
You can always ask your doctor for a piece of advice about this topic but also many others as well in order to engage in a safe but still satisfying sexual experience with your partner!